Pages

Saturday, February 25, 2012



The Blue Bowl

All day I did the little things,
The little things that do not show;
I brought the kindling for the fire
I set the candles in a row,
I filled a bowl with marigolds,
The shallow bowl you love the best--
And made the house a pleasant place
Where weariness might take its rest.

The hours sped on, my eager feet
Could not keep pace with my desire.
So much to do, so little time!
I could not let my body tire;
Yet, when the coming of the night
Blotted the garden from my sight,
And on the narrow, graveled walks
Between the guarding flower stalks
I heard your step: I was not through.

You came into the quiet room
That glowed enchanted with the bloom
Of yellow flame. I saw your face,
Illumined by the firelit space,
Slowly grow still and comforted-
"It's good to be at home," you said.

Blanche Bane Kuder



Doesn't this poem so beautifully describe what it is like to be a wife and mother? I love it! I discovered this poem in a book called Everyday Graces by Karen Santorum. This is a wonderful book for children about manners. Karen has collected poems, short stories and excerpts from books to illustrate different manners to children in a simple and gentle way. 


Here are some other manners books that I've heard are good and would love to add to our collection:

  

2 comments:

Catie said...

We had "Let's Have a Tea Party" for a while, but I think Gilly was too young for it. :) We're going to get it again. I really love Emilie Barnes--have you read any of her books? Very. good. :)

Wonderful poem, btw.

Unknown said...

Love the poem and the painting! :) I really love the Everyday Manners book as well! :)